Monday 23 September 2013

Our Summer Reads Recap: Caroline


From top to bottom:

A Passage to India by E.M. Forster 
Status: Still not read.
Verdict: Argh, not a good way to start, I still haven't got to this one. But it's a classic, so it'll still be good whenever I get to it. That's my reasoning anyway. DON'T JUDGE ME. 
Source: My parents' bookshelves

Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder 
Status: Read!
Verdict: This one took me SO LONG to read. I'm kind of an all or nothing reader, so either I gobble a book up in hours or I read a few chapters, put it down, and never pick it back up again. I was trying to be self-disciplined with this one though as there is so much going on that I didn't want to rush through it. I definitely enjoyed it, although it did mess with my mind sometimes. 
Source: My parents' bookshelves

Wedlock: How Georgian Britain's Worst Husband Met His Match by Wendy Moore
Status: Still unfinished.
Verdict: Maybe I'm just not a biography reader. I always pick them up with so much excitement and hope, only to get bogged down in historical descriptions and lose the will to carry on. Who knows, maybe I'll make it to the end one day!
Source: An Oxfam in Bath

Oryx and Crake by Maragaret Atwood
Status: Finished!
Verdict: It's a good 'un. My enjoyment of this book stemmed not so much from the plot itself but from the way the dystopian world was crafted by the eponymous Crake. I really want to read the 2 follow-ups, The Year of the Flood and MaddAddam. 
Source: An Oxfam in Bath

The Crane Wife by Patrick Ness 
Status: Read!
Verdict: You can read my (very complimentary) review here.
Source: Bought (and signed) at Bookslam in Bristol

Maya by Jostein Gaarder
Status: Currently reading.
Verdict: After finishing Sophie's World, I decided to carry on to Maya. It's interesting so far, if a little slow. Lots of information about the creation of the world...
Source: Borrowed from a friend

So all in all a little disappointing, maybe I should add the ones I missed to my Christmas reading list!

How did your summer reading go? 




No comments:

Post a Comment